I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Crisis = Opportunity?

Rumours have been going around about the high possibility of investor pulling out from rescuing our company. Total collapse seems to be imminent and nothing is worse than waiting for the "death sentence". To say that i'm not a bit worried would be a lie. Of course i have my concerns if i become unemployed, but i must keep a positive mind; thus i'm writing this post to myself...

Richard M. Nixon once said,
The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word "crisis". One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.
Yes, in Chinese, the word "crisis" is made up of two characters: 危机 (wei ji) -- a combination of danger (危) and opportunity (机). So for every obstacle that we encounter, there lies an opportunity awaiting for us. I guess it's just like what we studied in financial management: higher risk means higher return. Then is this Chinese wisdom really applicable to my situation now?

I've been through several crises in my career job career. Well, i'm not sure if i really ever had a so-called career before. After working for so many years, seeing my friends' achievements in their respective career, i'm like still at the same place where i've started off. I can't help but wonder if the problem actually lies with myself. Perhaps it's my restlessness, or the devoid of direction in life, or even maybe my self-conceitedness about my ability, that had hindered my own advancement. I'm not sure.

Regardless of what was the cause, i promise myself not to engage in self-doubt and self-pity. I used to be a pessimist who always think of the worst of thing, but as i grow older and survived through one difficulty after another, i'm beginning to see things from a different perspective. It doesn't really matter anymore if the glass is half-full or half-empty. It's just a half glass of water; i should think of what i could do with it instead of harping on the have's, have-not's, and what-if's.

When life throws us a curve ball, do we just duck and whine about it, or we swing at it and keep on keeping on? Look at it this way: if there was never a ball thrown at us, there could never be a possibility of hitting a home run. So, crisis? Bring it on!

Labels:

dun worry... lets walk through this together....

Share your cogitation



Monday, August 29, 2005 @ 3:10 pm: Instant mee suah
Sunday, August 28, 2005 @ 1:54 am: What would you do if you were PooPoo?
Friday, August 26, 2005 @ 12:45 pm: Ya, sure, i'm happy with the service
Thursday, August 25, 2005 @ 3:41 am: I can finally weigh myself now!
Wednesday, August 24, 2005 @ 3:26 am: It's so hard to say goodbye
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 @ 2:39 am: La Marche de l'empereur
Monday, August 22, 2005 @ 3:34 am: We've lost
Saturday, August 20, 2005 @ 4:32 am: IBF World Championship 2005
Friday, August 19, 2005 @ 3:03 am: Do Singaporeans speak better Mandarin than Malaysi...
Thursday, August 18, 2005 @ 3:23 am: Darn those new year's resolutions!