I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Friday, March 31, 2006

To a dispirited friend

(Here's a post i wrote last week and have been hesitating if i should publish it. I haven't spoken to this friend these few days, but knowing him, i'm sure that he's still in a low spirit.)

You are my friend, a rather close one too. We've known each other for so long, and we both cherish the friendship very much. It's precisely because i cherish our friendship that i don't wanna see you continue letting yourself down in such manner, that i don't wanna continue giving all those superficial words of comfort that didn't have any effect on you at all.

Please tell me what should i do as a friend to help you out of your misery?

Whatever that should have been said had already been said, more than once in fact. I had thrown at you all the words of encouragement and even criticism. I had been giving you advice and suggestions. But all seemed to fall on deaf ears.

I don't know what to do anymore. I don't know what is expected of me in the role of a good friend. Do you expect me to just listen and wait for your sorrow to pass? Do you expect me to agree with your self-inflicted sufferings and console you with reassuring words? Do you expect me to mollycoddle you and never utter a word of reproach regardless of what you think and do? For the very first time in my life, i feel lost at being a good friend to someone.

I care for you. It pains me to see you losing track of the important tasks at hand because of an event that may seem hurtful at this moment but isn't really that significant if you are able to see it from a bigger picture. Trust me, when you look back many years later, i guarantee that you will be laughing at yourself and may even regret on the time wasted.

I'm not belittling the event that you deemed crucial in your life. The truth is that it's really NOT that earth-shattering as you made it to be. Even if you don't believe me, ask yourself if this hasn't happened to you before? This is like a replica of a history. Didn't you get through it and realize it might not have worth all the imaginary torment that you put yourself through? Didn't you get over it eventually and stand on your feet again? Why are you falling into the exact same cycle again?

I'm saddened by your losing sight of the more important things in life. I'm disappointed at your lacking of will-power. Hardships, imaginary or not, should be transformed into a force that makes us stronger, not an excuse for perpetual self-pity.

We aren't young anymore. We can't afford to engage in any more acts that draw us back and don't help us to better ourselves. We must make things happen instead of just hoping them to happen.

I'm not sure if you read my blog at all even though you know about its existence. If you do read this, i'm risking our friendship to tell you this: Everyone has choices in life. YOU decide on how you want it to be. YOU gotta pick yourself up and no one else can help you with it. If YOU choose to continue to indulge in this shitty mood, then don't whine about how f*cking smelly the shit is. If you wanna smell the roses, you gotta walk out of the enclosed room into the garden with YOUR OWN legs and smell the fragrance with YOUR OWN nose. Think about it.

And with that, i remain as a friend who will always be there for you, despite your perception of the current predicament that which i disagree.

Labels:

Share your cogitation



Friday, March 31, 2006 @ 12:36 am: A little story about life as coffee
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 @ 12:38 pm: Visitors through search engines
Monday, March 27, 2006 @ 4:41 pm: My new pre-owned golf set
Friday, March 24, 2006 @ 8:59 pm: Too much of a coincidence?
Thursday, March 23, 2006 @ 4:26 pm: An email to the consultant
Thursday, March 23, 2006 @ 3:07 am: Respecting a friend's choice of secrecy
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 @ 4:46 pm: About having kids
Monday, March 20, 2006 @ 1:19 pm: A new comb
Friday, March 17, 2006 @ 7:26 pm: PersonalDNA: I'm an Attentive Builder
Thursday, March 16, 2006 @ 1:45 pm: Choices