I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Make sure the boss is informed on everything

Mom has been sick for two days already. She didn't go to work and hasn't been eating much either. I'm really worried.


Some companies have this corporate culture that all emails should have the bosses in the cc list. It may be because the bosses are control freak and want to know everything down to the minute details. It may be because the competition among the employees are cut-throat and hence they wanna make sure the bosses know where the credit should go. It may be because the management practice fault-finding and thus the employees must ensure that their asses are covered.

Whatever the reason may be, i'm never the fan of doing this cc-the-boss-on-every-shit-you-do stunt. Perhaps i've been rather lucky that most of my ex-bosses trusted me to do my job well. I also abhor office politics and don't like to work in a manner that keeps thinking about how to cover my own ass or how to make sure the boss knows i'm working.

Then i think all these are gonna change. From now on, i'm gonna put the female manager in copy of every single emails i sent out and keep her informed on everything i do.

Uh huh, something unpleasant happened today.

The female manager was mad at me today over something that i don't think it was my fault. The whole thing happened just because i didn't inform her about something in time and consequently resulted in her making a fool of herself.

I saw her being loaded with tons of projects and was busy and stressful all the time, so i wanna be considerate and thought of telling her the consultant's proposed solution to an issue later when she wasn't so tied up. I should have written an email to her but knowing that she was involved in so many things and had tons of emails everyday, i again tried to be considerate and not to overload her mailbox with my emails. Furthermore, i thought the issue wasn't something of life and death, so i thought of talking to her in person when she had some time.

Then, being a person with Type A personality, she couldn't wait and thought that i didn't do what i was told. She took the matter into her own hands but only to approach the wrong party and thus getting wrong information. She, not knowing that i've already gotten a proposed solution, brought up the matter in a huff during meeting today, accusing the consultants not doing their job correctly. In the end, i got the arrow because i was the one who had the information but had yet to tell her about it.

She was pissed at me. I know that from her facial expression. Well, i was equally pissed actually because i couldn't really see what i had done wrong except not telling her every damn thing the very moment it happened and being too considerate. I'm just so xian.

贝 said i gotta get used to the culture of the company and understand the personality and management styles of the bosses. Yes, i guess he's right. This really need some getting used to, as i've been doing things on my own for so long and didn't have the habit of reporting every single little thing i do. Well, if this is what it takes to survive in this company, or at least not get into troubles, then that's exactly what i'm gonna do.

Labels: ,

Share your cogitation



Monday, November 27, 2006 @ 4:13 am: Another Vidal Sassoon hair straightener
Friday, November 24, 2006 @ 4:10 am: I'm so sleepy
Thursday, November 23, 2006 @ 4:52 am: Just reached home
Tuesday, November 21, 2006 @ 4:48 am: I hate office politics
Monday, November 20, 2006 @ 3:26 am: What we bought from the fair
Saturday, November 18, 2006 @ 3:40 am: Don't test my limit (and i'm going to KL!)
Thursday, November 16, 2006 @ 4:16 am: Offending a colleague
Wednesday, November 15, 2006 @ 4:39 am: Lunch anxiety
Monday, November 13, 2006 @ 4:01 am: An ex-employer
Thursday, November 09, 2006 @ 3:49 am: An exciting new job