I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Monday, January 08, 2007

Singapore is a small country

I knew that Singapore is a small country but i didn't realized how small it was until Saturday. 贝 and i almost drove around the whole of Singapore on that day, and we noticed that one could travel from one end of the country to another in less than an hour.

Here's the route we travelled on Saturday:

Entered Singapore via Tuas --> AYE --> Sixth Lok Yang Road --> AYE --> PIE --> KJE --> BKE --> SLE --> TPE --> my new office --> PIE --> CTE --> Tanjung Pagar --> Vivo City --> AYE --> Exited via Tuas

Uh huh, so with the exception of ECP, we've travelled all the expressways of Singapore on that day. And the total distance travelled wouldn't even bring us from JB to Melaka.

I meant no insult in saying this, but we somehow came to an understanding of why majority of Singaporeans have this island mentality, which is so typical of people living in small island state. I guess now i may have more tolerance for the ugly behaviours of some Singaporeans because they probably just couldn't help it. I think being born and raised in a country where the source of pride must come from being Number 1 in everything they do, it's inevitable that the people become so kiasu and would look down on foreigners whose countries they think couldn't measure up to their small island.

I still disapprove such behaviours of course, but at least i can understand what causes the people to behave in such ways. Hopefully that can help me to see beyond their shortcomings and come to appreciate the good sides of these otherwise annoying people.

Labels: , , ,

Agree with you on the explanation for their behaviour pattern. Another possible explanation is that they cannot tolerate things that are different (from what they are having)- except for Ang Moh's. Also, they think making a complaint makes living quality better. To some extent, I agree with them. They are indeed lucky to have responsive authorities to act on their complaints. So you seldom see holes on their roads. Our authorities... sigh.... In this respect, I don't see how "Continental mentality" of our public offiers could bring any good to our lives....Now wait! I remember these are the people that cannot get a job after graduating from ?? Uni...

Share your cogitation



Saturday, January 06, 2007 @ 3:01 am: Disappointed users and boss
Thursday, January 04, 2007 @ 3:57 am: Three upsetting events
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 @ 3:42 am: My first cupping therapy
Tuesday, January 02, 2007 @ 4:12 am: New year's resolutions 2007
Monday, January 01, 2007 @ 4:36 am: Year 2006 in retrospect
Saturday, December 30, 2006 @ 3:42 am: Going to KL
Friday, December 29, 2006 @ 3:42 am: My ex-work place
Thursday, December 28, 2006 @ 4:05 am: Raining, year end
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 @ 4:40 am: Raining again
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 @ 2:57 am: My Christmas this year