I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

An awful cover letter

One of 贝's colleagues in Malaysia has been very keen in working in Singapore. Well, who wouldn't really, given the higher pay and exchange rate. Just look at JB: it's filled with people from other states and working in Singapore; there's traffic congestion at the Causeway every morning; lots of cars with Singapore plate are actually driven by Malaysians... There are just so many people like me who enjoy earning the SGD, despite the traveling, the hard work, and being far away from home.

Anyway, this guy is from JB too. He owed it to 贝 for his current job. What happened was that the JB branch of 贝's employer was looking for a replacement but they didn't really put up any advertisement. 贝 didn't wanna be called back to the JB branch for support and so he spread the news through an online forum. This guy applied and he was selected, mainly because there weren't any competition.

Then lately he got to know from 贝 that the job market in Singapore is rather good now. He expressed great interest in getting a job in Singapore too. Since 贝 found the new job through a recruitment company, he thought he could help this guy by forwarding his resume to the recruiters too.

But when we had a look at this guy's resume, we almost fainted. The whole resume was just copy-and-pasted from Job Street online form. So much for showing his sincerity to the prospective employers!

And his cover letter... gosh, all i can say is that if i were the employer, his application is so going into the recycle bin. Not that i'm very good in the English language, but his was simply horrendous!

Ok, i know i shouldn't be laughing at others. I also know that it's really bad of me to post someone else's cover letter in my blog, but then no one knows who he is, and you really gotta read this for yourself to know what i meant.

So here goes (the exact words copy-and-pasted from the original text):

I have been working in the IT for 7 years, although my duration of working in IT is not long, I have been maintain network , server & computer in a small-medium company, which consist over 20 computers, 4 servers and work as a Senior Executive, maintain the hardware performance quality and developer the in house program.

As a Senior Executive, I need to know and understand the company operational and benefit. And I had learned leadership, where by I have to give training, advice and teach my colleague to provide better attitude to operational the company production. I also have the capability to react in unexpected situation. Sometimes, there are many cases or incident that might happen. There for, this will be useful for me to avoid any uncertain or uncontrolled incident.

Beside, I’m a happy go lucky and out going person who likes to know more people and makes friends. I’m a friendly, think wise and active boy who likes adventure and excitement. I always have a positive thinking, so that things will work out and life will be fully joy, happiness and success. I’m a cooperative person, which it is needed to solve problem to ease and improve the work. I have been working with different nationality and different level of people.

I would like to apply for this job due to, I would like to provide my service to your company and meanwhile to learn and gain more knowledge as well as experience. For in life, I learn everyday to make myself a better person. I hope that my application will be consider and I will given a chance to serve in this company.

Labels: ,

Well I followed your link to read a few posts of yours regarding getting a job in SG. I observe that the prospects in IT is still very very good...
Anyway, his resume is not that bad - if he is below 25, and has not really spent a few years overseas to get his degree... well some improvement in his written english is still necessary - but I guess it is not a must for the purpose of getting an employment in Singapore, if he is not intending to work in the public sector, wish him luck!!!

Aiyo, ah Pinpin jie.... you make my day. Or rather your friend there make my day. Hahaha.

Anon: I agree. I think cover letter isn't that important for a technical post. I would advise him not to send in the cover letter if he couldn't write one that's impressive.

Beer brat: I laughed as hard too when i first read it. Aren't we bad... laughing at the poor kid... (hmm, i guess 28 years old shouldn't be called a kid anymore)

Share your cogitation



Monday, February 12, 2007 @ 3:37 am: Good news from last Friday
Friday, February 09, 2007 @ 5:00 am: Working late
Thursday, February 08, 2007 @ 2:49 am: Random update
Tuesday, February 06, 2007 @ 3:28 am: Speechless over lunch
Monday, February 05, 2007 @ 4:37 am: The past week (and my birthday gifts)
Thursday, February 01, 2007 @ 7:03 pm: Thirty-two
Wednesday, January 31, 2007 @ 3:33 am: Ex getting married
Tuesday, January 30, 2007 @ 4:26 am: Failing my resolutions
Monday, January 29, 2007 @ 4:29 am: The past weekend
Friday, January 26, 2007 @ 3:59 am: Spending too much