I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Speechless over lunch

Tell me what my reply should be when over lunch time, a Singaporean colleague said to me, "It's really ridiculous that your country blamed us for the flood. When you need something from us, then we are friends. But everytime something goes wrong, you'd just point fingers at us..."

I didn't wanna be a traitor and start bashing my own country in front of others, yet i also had no intention of engaging in a heated argument with anyone from the country where i earn a living, well, at least not on the silly topic of whose country is better. So i simply said casually, "uh huh, that's how our government is loh", and then pretended to enjoy my lunch very much that i didn't wanna talk anymore.

You know, it's difficult for me to defend something i don't believe in. How could i convincingly make a rebuttal when i didn't have the conviction myself?

Sigh, sometimes i really wish that our politicians could just do more constructive work and sprout less nonsense, or at least save me some embarrassment in front of the people who already think lesser of our nationality.

Labels: , ,

Share your cogitation



Monday, February 05, 2007 @ 4:37 am: The past week (and my birthday gifts)
Thursday, February 01, 2007 @ 7:03 pm: Thirty-two
Wednesday, January 31, 2007 @ 3:33 am: Ex getting married
Tuesday, January 30, 2007 @ 4:26 am: Failing my resolutions
Monday, January 29, 2007 @ 4:29 am: The past weekend
Friday, January 26, 2007 @ 3:59 am: Spending too much
Thursday, January 25, 2007 @ 4:19 am: I'm not a Singaporean
Tuesday, January 23, 2007 @ 4:06 am: Fagged out by commuting
Monday, January 22, 2007 @ 4:26 am: Extra money
Thursday, January 18, 2007 @ 4:15 am: A senseless boring trivia