I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

More on the credit card fraud

I was wrong about the amount of the credit card fraud. It wasn't RM600+ but RM6k.



Notice the transactions were charged twice on the statement, and the dates on the second column (the Posting Date) for the first two transactions showed year 0002. We really wondered if it's fraud or the bank's mistake in charging the amount wrongly.

Anyway, 贝 called the bank yesterday and reported the case. The customer service personnel told him to fill in the dispute form, just like the previous incident. We were really pissed and decided to go to the bank personally to settle the issue.

So we took leave today. In the morning, we drove back to JB and went to the bank. I showed the printout of statement to the customer service lady and demanded for an explanation on why the last incident was settled so quickly and why similar case happened again. I also asked her why their fraud detection personnel called me on the day the transaction occurred but still allowed the transaction to go through even though i already told him it was a fraud.

The lady couldn't answer any of my queries. She said all credit card matters are handled by the HQ in KL. She then made a call to the KL office and passed the phone to me. I explained the whole incident again, and she apologized but still insisted that i must fill in the form for them to proceed with the investigation, even though i specifically told her that i didn't see the point of why i should be filling in the form when it wasn't my fault at all.

Actually, i knew that it was the bank's procedure for the customers to submit a dispute form if we do not agree with any of the charges. I was just so unhappy with what happened and intentionally wanted to make a fuss out of it. It's a big bank and i was really disappointed in the breach in security.

In the end, i still filled in the dispute form, but told her that i will not pay for any of the amount. I also told her that interest should not be charged for this amount when the investigation is still underway. She assured me that any interest charged would be reversed once they found that it's a fraud. I also wrote on the form that i wanted the department in charge of the investigation to call me, as i still didn't get an answer on what really happened for the last incident since the customer service personnel didn't have any information about it.

I'm not gonna let the case rest just like this. I'm gonna write a comprain email to the bank and restate my disappointment. It's actually not only about the fraud, but also on the inconvenience caused by it because i gotta change the auto-debit arrangement with my insurance company once again. Sometimes, really, we gotta behave more like a Singaporean and comprain, comprain, comprain.

Of course, if they can throw in some freebies to appease a disgruntled customer, that would be even better.  

Labels:

oh, what a mess! i hope that you sorted it all out, and that it doesn't happen to you again! with all teh advancements in credit card processing equipment and technology made lately, you would think that the financiers would find better ways to protect us... and themselves... agaisnt all this unnecessary fraud.

Share your cogitation



Monday, November 12, 2007 @ 10:11 pm: An expensive lesson
Friday, November 09, 2007 @ 3:22 am: Today
Friday, November 09, 2007 @ 2:51 am: Another fraud
Tuesday, November 06, 2007 @ 2:58 am: Sex with a bike
Monday, November 05, 2007 @ 3:21 pm: Random updates
Friday, November 02, 2007 @ 6:07 am: A dream
Friday, November 02, 2007 @ 6:02 am: It's my choice
Tuesday, October 30, 2007 @ 4:01 am: Random updates
Thursday, October 25, 2007 @ 4:39 am: Spreading the news
Tuesday, October 23, 2007 @ 3:20 am: Situation at work