I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Monday, December 24, 2007

Back at home

Touched down at Changi Airport yesterday at around 3.15pm. Took a cab back to home in SG, where 贝 was waiting for me at the parking lot. I didn't get up to the flat. Just loaded my luggage into the trunk and headed back to JB.

There was a heavy traffic jam at the 2nd-link. When we finally reached home, it was already evening. I was, and still am, very very very tired from the travelling and working late every night. So i spent the whole of today lazing at home. Decided to skip work tomorrow since both the bosses are on leave.

Ok, so back to where i left off in the previous post.

Thursday was the day when i first took the MTR in HK. As i gotta rush to the EVA office in the morning, i took the MTR at the rush hour, at around 8.30am. Oh man, i had never been on a subway that was so packed before. I gotta squeeze my way through the commuters to get on and off the train.

And as if this wasn't bad enough, i left the Kowloon office that day at around 6pm, and again it was at the rush hour. The station was crowded; the train was packed. It was so bad that 3 trains passed by and i couldn't get onto any one of them until the 4th one. When i was in the train, i didn't even have to hold on to anything, because everyone was standing so close to everyone else that if the train were to jerk forward, i would just lean onto the people beside me and wouldn't fall at all. Uh huh, it was really that crowded.

On Friday, after i arrived at the office, i then read the email from my big boss that he gotta send his wife to the hospital due to sudden illness and would only come in the afternoon. I didn't know what happened and was rather worried.

The HK office was having their yearly X'mas lunch on that day, and the Director had actually invited my big boss and i to join the lunch party. But then my boss wasn't around, i was contemplating if i should have lunch alone, as i wasn't really those sociable type and with my inability to speak Cantonese, it would be really awkward for me to tag along.

Then when it was lunch time, the Directory actually asked me to follow them, and i just couldn't refuse. So in the end, i gotta sit through almost 2.5 hours of lunch listening to people talking about things i didn't understand. Some colleagues did make an effort to talk to me in Mandarin and English, but most of the time i just ate in silence. The lunch was Western food, and i had lamb chop, which was not bad but the serving was too small for my big appetite.

When we got back to the office, my boss was already back too. I asked about his wife and he said she was ok and back at home resting. I didn't probe further about what happened to her. I was just glad that it was nothing serious.

After the round-up meetings, we stayed in the office until 7pm because there was supposed to be a conference call with UK about the project. It was cancelled later and postponed to after new year. I then left the office and went back to the hotel. Since it was my last night in HK for this trip, i decided to reward myself to a nice finner. Unfortunately, the Italian restaurant near the hotel was full, and i ended up going to the Chinese fast food chain that i went to on the first night. It was called Maxim, or 美心 MX.

I ordered a personal hotpot. Unlike the pork chop rice i had on the first day, which wasn't good, this hotpot was delicious, especially on a cold and windy day. Too bad that i was alone; i bet i'd enjoy it even more if there was company.





Oh, and due to my busy schedule, i didn't get to go out much and didn't pick up anything for 贝, mom and my friends. All i bought was just some tidbits.



More on the journey back home in post tomorrow.

Labels: ,

should be glad that u arrived as schedule, and din have to spend ur Christmas alone in HK.
Welcome back.

Share your cogitation



Friday, December 21, 2007 @ 4:51 am: Hong Kong - Day 6
Friday, December 21, 2007 @ 2:12 am: Happy food
Monday, December 17, 2007 @ 4:21 am: Hong Kong - Day 2
Sunday, December 16, 2007 @ 4:57 am: Hong Kong - Day 1
Saturday, December 15, 2007 @ 4:57 am: Taipei - Day 6
Friday, December 14, 2007 @ 4:54 am: Taipei - Day 5
Tuesday, December 11, 2007 @ 4:47 am: Taipei - Day 2
Monday, December 10, 2007 @ 4:54 am: Arrived in Taipei
Sunday, December 09, 2007 @ 7:31 pm: In transit
Sunday, December 09, 2007 @ 12:03 am: Leaving tomorrow