I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Internet deprived

The time now is 23:38 of 18-Feb-08. I'll probably only get to post this tomorrow.

Sigh, i'm Internet-less again after work. This is the thing i hate about Malaysian hotels -- you gotta pay for the Internet connection, whereas countries like TW and HK, the room comes with free Internet access.

Woke up really early today, at 4.45am. My flight from SG to KL was at 7am and i gotta leave home at around 5.15am. I should have slept earlier last night, but i didn't realize the time of the departure flight until past mid-night, when i had just finished packing my stuff. The thing was that the secretary initially sent to me an itinerary stating the departure flight at 11am, and so i thought i had plenty of time to sleep. Then the final ticket that was confirmed was actually for flight at 7am, and she didn't alert me, nor did i look carefully. Fortunately i looked at it again last night when i wanted to book a cab in advance, or else i would have definitely missed the flight today.

I'll be in KL this week for training. There's a technical trainer from UK here to transfer the technical knowledge to the newly set-up regional support team here in KL. I'm not sure why i need to be here too, since my role is supposed to be more of business IT and not technical. But of course, there's never harm in knowing more, even though i couldn't understand most part of what the trainer was talking about. The stuff was too technical for me, and i think i could only understand 20% of it.

Anyway, i'm staying at the Le Meridien Hotel at KL Sentral (even though the office is at PJ). Since the UK trainer and my big boss (who will be arriving tomorrow evening) are staying here, they decided that it's best to have everyone staying at the same hotel.

This is an expensive hotel. My room costs RM400 per night without breakfast (and Internet connection). Frankly, i don't know what is so great about it. Compared to the other hotels that i've stayed in KL before, the room is really nothing to shout about. I could get a better room with breakfast at almost half the price (such as the Trader's Hotel). I guess the location warrants it to have such high room rate, and probably being beside Hilton Hotel also raises its merits. The hotel staffs are, however, very well-trained and courteous. They make everyone feels like VIP.

And by the way, 贝 was back in SG already. Sadly, we only got to spend the weekend together and i was off to KL again. Oh ya, we did spend the whole of Thursday together, as i called in sick (unpaid leave since i'm still on probation). I was really feeling unwell due to menstrual cramp. Sigh, too bad that 贝 was just back and i was having my period. Well, how one thing gotta do with another, i'm not gonna elaborate further.

Will have to get up earlier tomorrow so that i'd have time to go over to the KL Sentral to grab some breakfast. I'm so not gonna spend (*looking through the menu*) RM19 for orange juice, RM15.5 for two pieces of toasts with jam and butter, RM18.5 for yoghurt, or RM22.50 for dry cereals. Ya, i know the company's paying since i can claim back the expenses, but i simply find the price a bit too steep. Hopefully there's a place selling good coffee nearby.

Labels:

Being near to KL Sentral could be one of the reasons why the room rate is high. You can find more food at KL Sentral. There is one hawker centre at the basement/ ground floor of Plaza Sentral, which is next to KL Sentral... but it is very stuffy and I would not recommend you to go there. I agree with you that Msia hotel is not internet friendly... when I was in Haatyai... I was using the free wireless internet facility when I was working at a office which is opposite a 3/4 star hotel...totally FOC.

Well, not all hotels in HK are internet friendly too. It also depends on what room package you get. :)
Even in SG, not all hotels provide free internet connection - that's the way the charge more from their guests.

When I was in Bangkok and Jakarta last month, I was also charged for using the service - both are expensive hotels! Davis in BKK, and Shangri-la in Jakarta. Some more, the connections were bad! :P

Share your cogitation



Monday, February 18, 2008 @ 7:50 pm: Out of town
Thursday, February 14, 2008 @ 4:40 am: Angpao from work
Wednesday, February 13, 2008 @ 4:57 am: Woes at work
Tuesday, February 12, 2008 @ 4:07 am: It's back to work
Thursday, February 07, 2008 @ 5:06 am: Bye bye pig
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 @ 4:51 am: It has been a while
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 @ 4:36 am: Alone
Sunday, February 03, 2008 @ 4:34 am: An unhappy birthday
Friday, February 01, 2008 @ 4:32 am: One more day
Thursday, January 31, 2008 @ 1:56 am: Two more days to go