I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

It's nice to be popular

Arrived in Taipei last night rather late. By the time i reached hotel, it was nearly 11pm already. I bathed, dried my hair, and ironed my working clothes for this week. Went to bed at 1.30am and woke up at 6.30am this morning. It has been a long day.

The system was still not officially live yet, even though we have gotten the pre-live database for users to enter the last two weeks data retrospectively. We had a bad start, with the system throwing out several errors when the users started using it. The system is gonna go live in two more days, and yet we are still encountering errors. I bet this must have negative effect on the user's confidence.

The most frustrating part was that these errors were nothing that we had not encountered before, more than once in fact. All these were identified during the testings and were caused by setup issues. Apparently UK did not mark these problems into their checklists despite the same error occurring over and over again everytime they set up a new database.

The resolutions were easy, since we had already known what went wrong, but this reflected really badly on us and provided an even worse perception of the system to the users who are already full with negativity. Sometimes i just wonder, probably UK simply doesn't care. After all, we will be the one who's gonna face the users, not them.

Fortunately, however frustrating it is, the users were very friendly towards me (perhaps except one difficult user who is hard to please). No matter how pissed they were, they would still talk to me nicely. I know that the users liked me very much, so i guess my effort of putting up with all the nonsense has indeed paid off.

Last weekend, the staff organized a trip to somewhere and they had great fun. Everyone came back with a good mood. They even bought a souvenir for me.

This morning, one of the ladies secretively gave me a small package, whispering to me that it was a gift from their trip.



As they didn't get anything for little boss, so i didn't tell him about it, nor did i open it up in the office.

Just now, after i got back to the hotel, i opened it up and saw a small pair of clogs ornament.



At the back of the small clogs, there were carvings of the date and my nickname.



I think they went to Yi Lan and visited the Bai Mi clogs village (白米木屐村).

It was very nice of them, and hopefully they will continue to be nice to me for days to come, even when the system is not performing as they want.

On an unrelated note, i'm staying at San Want hotel this time. The room i'm staying is big, but has this stuffy smell that makes me feel uncomfortable. The situation is worsen with the room facing the back ally, and i couldn't open the window but to keep the aircon on.

I have a rather acute sense of smell. Unpleasant odour sometimes makes me hard to breath. I'm gonna be here till next Friday, so i don't think i'm gonna put up with this. I'll inform the front desk tomorrow, and either they think of a way to get rid of the smell, or change a room for me.

Labels:

Ya. It's really feel good to be popular.
Sometimes good colleagues r the one keeping us with the job.
Wish u all the best.

Thanks, Sui.

We all should meet up when i'm back. I need good friends to help me to recharge.

Share your cogitation



Sunday, May 18, 2008 @ 8:16 pm: In the news
Sunday, May 18, 2008 @ 1:21 pm: Random updates
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 @ 3:08 am: It's good to be home, dreaming
Saturday, May 10, 2008 @ 5:40 am: Room service
Thursday, May 08, 2008 @ 3:47 am: A tiring day
Wednesday, May 07, 2008 @ 12:03 pm: At the airport now
Monday, May 05, 2008 @ 3:30 am: The past (long) weekend
Monday, May 05, 2008 @ 2:09 am: Bearistas
Wednesday, April 30, 2008 @ 3:50 am: Random updates
Saturday, April 26, 2008 @ 6:37 am: A hectic week