I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Insomnia

How long can a person go without sufficient sleep?

I've heard of people who had insomnia for years and they are still leading normal lives, albeit being exhausted all the time.

But i wonder if persistent sleep deprivation will destruct health, both physically and mentally. This is what worries me now, as i am not sure what the long term effect will be if i still don't get some good quality sleep.

The medicine prescribed by the doctor isn't working, or at least it only worked for one night. The first night i took it, i slept like a log. As i took it rather late (as about 11pm) and i woke up early at 6pm the next day, the effect of the drug was still present and i felt sleepy the whole day.

Then after that, i took it again on another night at 1am. It helped me to get to sleep almost instantly, but the next day i woke up by myself at around 6pm+, with my my mind full of all the troubles and thoughts. Apparently, my mind wasn't resting at all even though i did fall asleep under the effect of the drug.

Last night, i took it at around 1am+ after failing to get to sleep by myself. It didn't seem to have any effect anymore. I tossed and turned in bed for hours. I don't know what time exactly it was when i finally fall asleep, but this morning i work up by myself again at 6am+ and couldn't get back to sleep anymore.

I think i need stronger sleeping pills, but then i do not want to become dependent on it to induce sleep in the long term. I can either let myself continue like this until i find a way to get back to my normal sleep pattern, or i should take sleeping as my first priority now and care about the side effects of the drug later. Yet, this is just not me; i'm never a person who believes in solving one problem for now with something that may cause another problem in the long term.

Anyway, i think i will go and see the doctor again. This time, i'll need to tell him that i'm in distress, and see if he's willing to give me something stronger.

Labels:

Share your cogitation



Friday, March 27, 2009 @ 4:40 pm: Miraculous cure
Friday, March 27, 2009 @ 3:04 am: Stressed
Thursday, March 26, 2009 @ 2:22 pm: Mistrust
Thursday, March 26, 2009 @ 11:45 am: Only left with love
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 @ 2:24 pm: Reminding the vows
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 @ 1:38 pm: Need to sleep desperately
Monday, March 23, 2009 @ 1:17 pm: You cannot blame me
Monday, March 23, 2009 @ 4:06 am: Obsession
Monday, March 23, 2009 @ 2:55 am: Roller coaster
Sunday, March 22, 2009 @ 3:32 pm: The truth is out