I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Some thoughts

[This post was written on 11-May-2009, 11.54pm]

Hmm, after the previous post, i kinda drew a parallel between speeding and 贝's affair.

I had not written anything on this at all, but now i am gonna say my piece here.

Since the affair came to light, i've listened to so many stories about men got cheated by China women, or countless marriages or families were wrecked by them. There were so many stories on the news or told by others, yet why the news never cease? Why so many men still fall for it over and over again?

Simple, because of similar mentality as why they still speed despite so many fatal accidents due to speeding were reported.

Because they believed that particular woman they had met is not the same as the others. They trusted their own judgement and they believed that those things would only happen to others and not to them.

Yet, over and over again, we hear the same stories again and again. If you have heard enough of those stories, you would be very surprised that how similar they really are.

And seriously, can we really blame any of those women? The problem actually lies with the men, isn't it? After all, if there is no demand, there wouldn't be any supply!

If we see it from an objective point of view, everyone wants to have a better life. Everything we do is for the pursuit of happiness in our lives. Some people believe that their own happiness is the most important thing in the world and on top of everyone else, even if it is at the expense of the others. Hence they do not care about wrecking the lives of other people in their quest for their own happiness. We can judge them and say that this is selfish, but then one may also argue that it is not wrong to love ourselves the most, for we are only responsible for our own lives and not anyone else's.

I believe at some point in our lives, all of us would had at least once done something selfish that had not cared for the feelings of others. Some people just so happened to have done more than once, or even in everything they do. And whether you are a Buddhist who believes in Karma, or a Christian who believes in Judgement Day, or an atheist who does not believe in anything, only time will tell if you have to pay for that once or many times of selfish acts that you had committed in your life.

As for me, i believe in God, and i also believe in the teaching of Buddha. I do not think that both must be mutually exclusive. However, i want to do good not because i am thinking about my next life, or the life after death. I just believe from the bottom of my heart that in our pursuit of happiness, we should never inflict pain on other. For such happiness is never meant to be ours in the first place, and it won't last either. And when i am on my deathbed, i want to be able to look back at my life and know that i have made a positive difference in someone's life; my mortal existence had brought happiness to someone and not pain.

Otherwise, tell me, really, what's the point of coming into this world if not for this? I mean, since the day we were born, we are walking towards death. No once can escape that. So if the end of the journey in life is death, and our existence is not to bring joy to others, then why do we even bother to walk this road?

Sigh, time alone like this always gets me all philosophical. I'd better get some sleep.

Labels: ,

Share your cogitation



Tuesday, May 12, 2009 @ 12:59 pm: Speeding
Saturday, May 09, 2009 @ 5:33 pm: My theme song 22
Saturday, May 09, 2009 @ 5:31 pm: The guessing game
Saturday, May 09, 2009 @ 4:37 pm: Weekend in SG
Thursday, May 07, 2009 @ 4:31 am: My theme song 21
Wednesday, May 06, 2009 @ 4:24 am: My theme song 20
Wednesday, May 06, 2009 @ 3:49 am: Outburst
Monday, May 04, 2009 @ 9:13 pm: My theme song 19
Monday, May 04, 2009 @ 4:38 pm: Rainy morning
Sunday, May 03, 2009 @ 3:00 pm: Hope and disappointment