I think, therefore I write. (我思,所以我写。)

Cogito ergo scribo

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The coming weeks

It's gonna be busy busy busy for me... and gonna have quite a sum of money outflow too!

I'm still doing some work on the America project even though the document was done. Now i gotta do the planning and budgeting. Big boss also wants to hold the official kick-off next Monday, and it that is really the case, then i'll be busy preparing the kick-off materials too.

Then at the same time, i'm making preparation for the HK project. Uh huh, we have projects running concurrently all the time, and i'm going to HK next week for the project kick-off. The meeting will be for 3 days, but i'm extending my stay there for a short break.

I've only visited HK once before, which was when i first joined this company and was immediately sent on a business trip to TW and then HK. I didn't have the chance to explore more in this city, because i didn't get to go back there again since i was put on other projects and the HK project was assigned to another person because i was unable to communicate in Cantonese with the users.

I foresee similar problem this time round, but then the difference is that i am the project manager now and hence they couldn't pull me out of it. I will, however, assign it to my subordinates in KL (who are fluent in Cantonese) after the project kick-off.

And... *drum roll*... i am also taking this chance to give my mom an overseas holiday that she has been longing for years. Yes, i'm bringing her with me to HK this time!

I can tell that she is very excited about the trip. Last weekend, she came into my room and asked me about what to wear, the weather, what she saw on tv that she intends to buy there... i'm very glad that even though i didn't manage to treat her to a Korean trip this year for her 60th birthday, at least she still gets to visit HK before the end of the year.

I hope this can mark a good ending for her otherwise very very very sad year, and she can also understand that it is my gesture of gratitude to her for being such a loving mom during the most difficult time in my life. So even though i'm probably gonna be pretty broke for this, it is still worth it, as a treat to her as well as to myself.

One little problem i have now is that her flight ticket is on waitlist, because i'm redeeming it through air miles. If i still don't get the confirmation by tomorrow, i'd have to pay for a full fare ticket, which i'd probably get from Jetstar and she would be on a different flight from me. Mom asked me to pray for the tickets to get confirmed, and i didn't say much to that. I felt like telling her that she should not be praying only when she wants something from God, for He is not our vending machine. We gotta be persistent in our prayers, which i have not been doing it myself either and hence do not feel right to pray for it.

Anyway, i don't think i would have time to look for other hotels, and it will be very troublesome to move to another hotel. So i've decided to just stay in the same hotel as what the company has booked for me, even though the location isn't really ideal.

I also haven't had the time to do my research on where to visits, what to eat and what to do in HK. If anyone reading this has been to HK before and has any suggestions or recommendations, please share it with me.

(Oh, and i better get my shopping list done!)

After the HK trip, i'd be busier. I'd have to hand over the project to my staff, and then prepare for another trip to UK.

Yeap, after working in this company for two years, i'm finally going to visit our HQ! There will be a worldwide IS conference held in UK and a few of us were nominated by big boss to be the delegates. Little boss and the other IT Manager from our regional team are going as well.

But the unfair thing is that big boss wanted me to make a presentation of our system in the conference, when two of them do not have to do anything. This means that i'll have to make preparation for it right after i return from HK. I jokingly complained to the two guys about how unfair it is to me, and they just laughed at me.

Sometimes i really do not know if i should be glad or frustrated at my job. Yes, i get to go to many places, but the workload is also killing me sometimes.

I guess no matter what, i should always be grateful for what God has given me.

Labels: ,

Hi! Your mom is cute and sweet!

u can spend 1 day in ocean park, 1 day in dai yu shan, 1 day in hk island with visit to the peak &

figure muzeum & shopping in central area, 1 day shopping at the streets (woman street, etc), 1

day shopping in kowloon & visit the star avenue. try take different transport like the ding-ding bus,

ferry & double decker bus (from the peak). nice & cooling weather in hk now. enjoy!

errr....I afraid that I would recommend something very different. Ocean park, has nothing to shout about, or Star Avenue, nor do I enjoy shopping in HK, but yes, food!! Try their wonton noodle, milk tea, Yuan Lang-Lou Po Bing and have tea at next door, Peninsular Hotel for high tea, stir fry beef noodle, all the contonese food must try and their dessert is much much better than S'pore and M'sia. Oh, must go Lan Gui Fang drink at the bar while orgling at chicks while nibbling fried ham and special chips that are not sold in M'sia or S'pore, again nothing to shout about, don't even think that they (the chicks) are as pretty as the stars we see in the movie, most of them are quite average. Tried their sea food, HKonger don't eat dead sea food like we do, they eat fresh! If you have chance go to their wet market, it operates till the evening! Lots of varieties of vegie and sea food and poultry!

remember dun go women street or temple street at wee hour or too late, better to be there at 7-9pm before it's too late. Try the smelly toufu it's better than the taiwanese one.

Thanks all for the advice.

I guess i really gotta spend some time planning for the trip, otherwise may end up wasting time in not knowing where to go or what to do!

Share your cogitation



Tuesday, November 17, 2009 @ 4:07 am: Noisy funeral
Monday, November 16, 2009 @ 4:13 am: Finally done
Sunday, November 15, 2009 @ 6:55 am: Pet Society: Halloween Lolly
Saturday, November 14, 2009 @ 5:37 am: Finally
Friday, November 13, 2009 @ 6:37 am: Pissed
Friday, November 13, 2009 @ 3:57 am: Working late night
Thursday, November 12, 2009 @ 5:41 am: Tired
Wednesday, November 11, 2009 @ 6:33 am: Updates on work
Tuesday, November 10, 2009 @ 6:11 am: Some thoughts on faith
Monday, November 09, 2009 @ 5:42 pm: Sad